If you liked the post, Share on Facebook, Tweet and Google Plus (use buttons above). You can also Subscribe to our feed via Email for free.
LCD vs LED Monitor | Which is Better?
Days of CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitors are almost gone with the arrival of LCD, TFT, Plasma and LED monitors in the market. But very few people exactly know the difference between all these monitor technologies. This article compares LED (Light Emitting Diode) and LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) monitors and suggests which one is better for use.
Difference between LED and LCD monitors
In fact, LED monitor is a type of LCD monitor. Before knowing their difference, first understand what is LCD and LED.
What is LCD?
A liquid crystal display (LCD) is a flat video display that uses the light modulating properties of liquid crystals (LCs). Liquid crystals can not emit light directly and thus require a light source(back-light).
What is LED?
LED is a lighting technology while LCD is specially a display technology. A LED is a semiconductor light source which are widely used as indicator lamps in many devices. You can think LED as very small bulbs.
LED monitors are nothing but the LCD monitors with LED as a back-light. The major difference between LED and LCD monitors is the kind of backlighting used. While cold cathode fluorescent lamps(CCFL) are used in LCD monitors for backlighting, LED monitors use light emitting diodes.
You might also like to know about types of LED monitors.
Which is better?
LED monitors are preferred over LCD monitors because of the amazingly rich quality and colors. Advantages of LED monitors are as follows:
Benefits of LED over LCD monitors
- Improved brightness and contrast levels.
- LED monitors provides a better overall picture clarity, resolution and finer colors.
- In LCD you have to maintain a viewing angle of 30o to see the picture properly, while in LED you get the same picture quality even when viewed from different angles.
- LED monitors offer more intense lighting than cold cathode fluorescent lamps.
- They save up to 30%-40% power than a LCD monitor of same size.
- Edge-LED monitors are thinner than standard LCD.
- LED monitors are softer on the eyes compared to LCD monitors which makes them the right choice for people who work for long hours on their computers.
Thus, a comparison of LCD and LED monitors brings out the conclusion that LED monitors are a better choice than LCD monitors.